Day of the Lord
The Day of the Lord begins with the Great Tribulation. The Great Tribulation will bring judgment on those who do not believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior.
This is a Bible Study. Have your own Bible handy to look up the references mentioned.
If you do not have a Bible, I invite you to go to BibleGateway.com or another online Bible.
15. For the day of the Lord is near upon all the heathen [Nations NIV]
See also Revelation 6:17 The Day of the Lord
“No matter how discouraging the day may be for God’s people, there is a just God in heaven who pays sinners back in kind: what they did to others is ultimately done to them.” (Wiersbe, Warren W, The Bible Exposition Commentary Old Testament Wisdom and Poetry [Colorado Springs: David C Cook, 2004], 374) Matthew 7:12 Isaiah 51:17-23 Jeremiah 25:15-33
16. “This refers to the cup of God’s wrath. Judah drank temporarily of judgment; Edom will drink ‘continually,’ with irreversible, permanent results. Jeremiah 49:12 [NIV] [KJV] (MacArthur, John, The MacArthur Bible Commentary [Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 2005], 1004)
17. But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance
“Salvation is to be offered upon Mount Zion for the world. That is where it is offered to you and me today. The Lord Jesus came and died on Golgotha for you and me. He is coming back to this earth again.” (McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible: Volume III: [Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1983], 735)
There will be holiness and Jacob will possess his inheritance. (NIV)
18. “Fire is one means of divine punishment in the Old Testament (cf. Exodus 15:7; Isaiah 10:17; Joel 2:5; Amos 1:4,7,10,12,14; 2:2,5). The house of Jacob will serve as God’s ‘fire,’ and the house of Joseph (Jacob’s prominent son) will serve as God’s torch (‘flame’). (Smith, Billy K, The New American Commentary, Volume 19B, Amos Obadiah Jonah: [Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1995], 199)
“The house of Esau will be ‘stubble,’ subject to the flame of God’s judgment.” (Smith, 199)
Day of the Lord
19. “The day of the Lord would mean different things to different people. For Edom and the nations it would be a day of judgment. For the house of Jacob it would be a day of deliverance. For the people of Israel it would be a day of restoration and expansion under the Lord’s rule.” (Smith, 200)
This verse tells what territory will be possessed.
20. “Israel will occupy all the land that God promised to them. He had promised to Abraham a land that contains about three hundred thousand square miles. Even at their zenith, they occupied only about thirty thousand square miles.” (McGee, 736)
21. “The day of the Lord will mean the defeat of God’s enemies, the restoration of his people, and the establishment of his universal rule.” (Smith, 201)
“Which way are you going, my friend? Down the way of pride, pessimism, unbelief and rebellion, down, down, down? You who were made in the likeness of God can be restored. You will have to lay aside your pride and come to helplessness to this Savior. He can lift you.” (McGee, 736)
In this article Scripture quotations taken from KJV.
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible: Volume III: Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1983
MacArthur, John, The MacArthur Bible Commentary Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 2005
Smith, Billy K, The New American Commentary, Volume 19B, Amos Obadiah Jonah: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1995
Wiersbe, Warren W, The Bible Exposition Commentary Old Testament Wisdom and Poetry Colorado Springs: David C Cook, 2004