During an interlude John is writing about the tribulation saints. We are learning about their perseverance and how blessed they are.
This is a Bible Study. Have your own Bible handy to look up the references mentioned.
If you do not have a Bible, I invite you to go to BibleGateway.com or another online Bible.
Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.
This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
The perseverance of the saints [NASB 1995], patient endurance [NIV], and patience of the saints [KJV] gives believers “assurance, hope, and joy to every true believer in Jesus Christ and brings an end to fear and doubt.” (MacArthur, John. New Testament Commentary: Revelation 12-22. [Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2000], 96)
God helps the true believers in their faith so they will endure. (MacArthur, 96)
“Proof of the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints:
- God’s promise established it. Psalm 37:23-34
- God’s purpose assures it. John 6:37-40, 44
- God’s power guarantees it. 2 Corinthians 5:17 John 10:27-29
- Salvation is by God’s grace. Ephesians 2:8-9 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
- God guarantees that believers will persevere. Matthew 10:22 Matthew 24:13″
Here John is writing about the saints during the Tribulation.
They are keeping the commandments of God [KJV] as we should be doing, even today.
John 8:31 John 14:21 John 15:14 Luke 6:46 1 John 5:3
They also keep the faith of Jesus. [KJV]
How loyal will we be under persecution?
13. John hears another voice telling him to write.
He has recorded the visions he had for us to read and understand.
What is John to write ?
Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth [KJV]
“These martyrs are blessed not only because they lived life to the fullest in obedience and trust, but also because they died in the Lord.” (MacArthur, 104)
Psalm 116:15 1 Corinthians 15:55
The Holy Spirit gives us two more reasons for being blessed. (MacArthur, 104)
- That they may rest from their labours; [KJV]
- Their lives will be a hard, difficult, dangerous struggle for survival.
- They will rest from all the difficulties and sorrow of their lives.
- Their works do follow them [KJV]
- Because of their service to the Lord
- Hebrews 6:10
2 Timothy 4:7-8 1 Corinthians 3:12-14 1 Timothy 5:6 Ephesians 2:1
What have you done with your life?
What choices have you made?
MacArthur, John. New Testament Commentary: Revelation 12-22. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2000
Scripture quotations taken from the NASB1995. Copyright by The Lockman Foundation.
Scripture quotations taken from the NIV. Copyright by Biblica, Inc.®
KJV is public Domain