Message to Thyatira
From Pergamum, northernmost of the seven cities, the Roman road curved east then southeast to Thyatira, approximately forty miles away. Thyatira was located in a long north-south valley connecting the valleys of the Caicus and Hermus rivers. Unlike Smyrna or Pergamum, Thyatira was built in relatively flat country and lacked an acropolis. Its lack of natural fortifications would play a significant role in its history. (MacArthur, New Testament Commentary: Revelation 1-11. [Chicago: Moody Publishers, 1999], 97)
This is a Bible Study. Have your own Bible handy to look up the references mentioned.
If you do not have a Bible, I invite you to go to BibleGateway.com or another online Bible.
“The modern city of Akhisar spreads across the surface of what was once the first-century city of Thyatira.” (Patterson, Paige The New American Commentary, Volume 39 Revelation. [B & H Publishing Group, 2012], 132)
Thyatira – Longest Letter
18. Characteristic (Easley, Holman New Testament Commentary: Revelation. [Nashville: B&H, 1998], 40)
This is the longest letter to the seven churches.
Each church as an angel – the pastor or other spiritual leader. (Easley, 54)
“The church at Thyatira is representative of Romanism, which takes us into the Dark Ages from A.D. 590 to approximately A.D. 1000. It was a dark period.” (McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible: Volume V [Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1983], 909)
Acts 16:14 tells us that Lydia who was Paul’s first convert in Europe came from Thyatira.
Being called The Son of God shows the deity of Jesus.
This is the only time in Revelation that Jesus is called The Son of God.
“Here is John’s explicit claim for the deity of Christ.” (Patterson, 113)
One of the gods worshipped here was Apollo who was the sun god.
He sees all. There is nothing that escapes Him.
Remember when you did something wrong and your mother just stared at you?
Her eyes were piercing, looking deep into your soul.
This is how Jesus will look at us.
His purity and holiness will judge each of us.
He has the strength and authority to rule.
Judgement on sinners.
See also Revelation 1:15
The members of the church in Thyatira faced:
- The predicament of choosing socializing with the towns people.
- Which included eating meat sacrificed to idols
- Sexual immorality or
- Losing their jobs and not being able to feed their family.
Jesus Complimented Thyatira
19. Compliment (Easley, 40)
Jesus did compliment the church at Thyatira on their deeds:
- Charity (love)
a. Jesus did not compliment the Ephesian church on love
Faith and love go together.
Service and Patience also go together.
Thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Their faith had increased making them stronger in love.
Does your faith increase with love?
Galatians 5:19-21 are deeds of the flesh
Galatians 5:22-26 show the Gifts of the Spirit
Criticism (Easley, 40)
20. Criticism Christ has is severe. (Easley, 40)
I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel
“The sin at Thyatira was the sin of tolerance…The church in Thyatira was tolerating a women named Jezebel.” (Patterson, 113)
- Calls herself a prophetess
- Violated the biblical teaching that women are not to be teachers or preachers in the church (1 Timothy 2:12) (MacArthur, 100)
- She teaches and seduces my servants
- to commit fornication
- Eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Because of her vicious rejection of Yahweh, Israel’s true God, her name became a byword for evil and religious apostasy. The only time Jezebel’s name appears in the New Testament is Revelation 2:20, where it is the code name for a false prophetess. (Easley, 40)
Read what Paul told us in Acts 20:29-30
Jezebel told those in the church that it did not matter if they sinned! Matthew 18:6
21. Jesus gave Jezebel time to repent.
Jesus is giving you time to repent. Or do you love darkness more? John 3:19
She does not want to repent.
Are you ready to repent?
Are you unwilling to repent like Jezebel?
Do not wait until it is too late.
22. She did not repent. Jesus told her, “I will cast her into a bed.”
“It is more likely that the bed refers to death and hell—the ultimate resting place for those who refuse to repent.” (MacArthur, 102)
She will take them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation.
The great tribulation here means great pain or difficulty.
What is the cure? Repent of their deeds
Command (Easley, 41)
23. I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
24. But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
25. But that which ye have already hold fast till I come
Three kinds of people in the church. (Easley, 41)
- Those who commit adultery with her.
- Some members followed her teachings.
- Intense suffering unless they repent.
- Jesus meant for discipline to restore them.
- Her children.
- Those who participated in her teachings.
- I will kill her children with pestilence.
- Repent or I will strike her children dead. (NIV)
- But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira.
- Who do not hold this teaching.
- Who have not known the deep things of Satan.
- I place no other burden on you.
- Nevertheless what you have, hold fast until I come. (NIV)
Jesus is telling all believers to hold fast until I come.
After Jesus kills her children with death. (V23)
The children of Jezebel.
All the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts: (V23)
Jesus knows what our thoughts are and what is in our hearts.
Then He will give unto every one of you according to your works (V23).
Are you ready? Are you a child of Jezebel?
If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior, then you must hold fast until He comes.
Commitment (Easley, 42)
26. He that overcometh
The overcomers are those who hold fast to the teaching of Jesus and do not participate in fleshy things.
All we must do is to keep the deeds of Jesus unto the end.
These are opposite the deeds of Jezebel.
“We overcome by faith and not by effort.” (McGee, 911)
To him I will give authority over the nations;
Nations here refers to Gentiles.
27. And he shall rule them with a rod of iron,
“Christ will delegate authority to them.” (MacArthur, 105)
As the vessels of the potter shall be broken to shivers:
Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel. Psalm 2:9
28. and I will give him the morning star.
In Revelation 22:16 Jesus calls Himself the bright morning star.
Jesus will be in our hearts! Praise the Lord!
29. He who hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches.
The church needs to listen to the warning of this message.
Listen to it.
( Chart A ) is a Summary of the Churches in Revelation 2
( Chart B ) is a Summary of the Churches in Revelation 3
( Chart C ) Messages to the Seven Churches Revelation 2 and 3
Scripture quotations from the Holy Bible, King James Version.
Easley, Kendell H., Holman New Testament Commentary: Revelation. Nashville: B&H, 1998
MacArthur, John. New Testament Commentary: Revelation 1-11. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 1999
McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible: Volume V. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1983
Patterson, Paige The New American Commentary, Volume 39 Revelation. B & H Publishing Group, 2012